Both mold and mildew are a type of fungi that is frequently discovered thriving in homes. Mold and mildew love moist environments and both spread very easily and quickly. It can be difficult to tell mold and mildew apart when they develop. As both should be treated when they develop in the home, how you will want to handle the two will vary. Disaster Services would like to share some of the key differences between mold and mildew and when to contact a professional mold remediation service.
How Can You Tell Mold from Mildew?
Where both mold and mildew are a type of fungi, their structure and development is very different. Mold contains multiple nuclei that are identical to each other. Mold will greatly vary in color from white, to gray, green and black. When it grows, mold penetrates into the surfaces which it is growing on. Mildew is a flat growth on the surface of the material it is developing on. This makes removing mildew much easier than removing a mold. Mildew much prefers to grow on organic materials such as natural base fabric or paper. Mold will develop on any surface. Some of the key elements that help separate mold and mildew are:
• Mildew – Mildew will grow in a flat like pattern and will look powdery and or fluffy. Mildew is often white, gray, or a yellowish color. Over time mildew will darken to a black or brown color. Mildew will only develop in moist areas. Mildew mostly affects crops and other plants. However, prolonged exposure can lead to illness, coughing, headaches, sore throat, and respiratory conditions.
• Mold – Mold is either fuzzy or slimy in texture or appearance. Mold will develop in irregular spots and shapes. Mold can vary in color. Mold can be blue, black, gray, white, yellow, or brown. Mold also develops in moist or damp areas. Over time mold will begin to decay or rot the surface it is growing on. Mold as compared to mildew poses a much bigger risk. Mold can lead to irritation of the skin, eyes and respiratory system. Mold can cause illness, serious conditions of the respiratory system, heart problems and much more. Mold can be the culprit of many health problems and should never be allowed to thrive in any household.
What Should I Use to Kill Mold & Mildew?
Both mold and mildew need to be treated and removed from the home. To confirm if you have mold or mildew in your home, you can have the fungi tested. You can seek professional testing or buy a test kit and do it yourself. Mildew often can be treated by the homeowner. Bleach can get rid of mildew in no time. However, mold poses a much bigger challenge. As mold develops deep into the surface, you may be able to kill the mold on the surface with a bleach, but you cannot kill the mold that is embedded deeper in and beneath the surface. It is strongly recommended to seek professional mold remediation services if you have mold.