The last thing anyone wants to experience is water damage. If you own your business, it can be devastating when you experience water damage in your building. This is why it is always best to learn the tips and tricks that can help you avoid water damage in the first place. Disaster Services is here to talk about precautions you can take to avoid water damage to your building.
Commercial Water Damage Prevention
There are several things that you can do to be proactive in protecting your commercial building from water damage. Some of them are incredibly simply and don’t take too much time to complete.
– Sealing Building: Inspect the exterior of your building to look for any cracks or gaps that need to be sealed and repaired. You should be looking at the windows, doors and foundation, primarily. Cold air can get into the building and cause pipes to freeze and then burst.
– Maintain HVAC Systems: The HVAC system and the sprinkling system on your property are the usual causes of water damage. Even the smallest leak that is left undetected can end up causing significant damage to your building. Make sure you’re maintaining them regularly to avoid this.
– Keep Heat On in Winter: You need to keep the heat on in the winter months whether people are in the building or not. It may be tempting to save some money here, but it could end up costing you more if you experience a pipe burst because of low temps. Keep the heat at 50 degrees at the very least to avoid this.
– Inspect Drainage: The gutters and downspouts on your building are important. If they aren’t working properly, the water won’t be draining away from the building and can cause significant damage. You need to make sure there are no blockages that stand in the way of water flow.
– Know Location of Shut Off Valve: Make sure you know exactly where the shut off valve is in the building. This will give you the ability to shut off the main water flow into the building in the case of a disaster. This can end up saving you if you are experiencing a flood of any kind.
– Commercial Building Insurance: You should make sure you have the right insurance policy for your building. You certainly want to make sure that there is ample flood insurance. When you need to use your insurance policy and find out that it isn’t sufficient to cover the cost of damages, it can be devastating.
Commercial Water Damage Restoration in Baytown, Pasadena, League City, Pearland, Missouri City, Sugar Land, Cypress, The Woodlands, Spring & Greater Houston, Texas
If you have experienced a flood of any kind in your commercial building, you can turn to Disaster Services to help you get things cleaned back up. We will restore your building so that you would never know that a disaster was anywhere to be seen. You can count on our team of disaster professionals to help you pick up the pieces when disaster strikes. Call us today!