Water damage is one of those things that most homeowners hope they never have to experience. It can be expensive to fix and leave your home unlivable if the damage is severe enough. When you come upon water damage in your home, there are a few steps that you should take right away. Disaster Services is here to talk about what a homeowner should do when they find that there is water damage in their home.
What to Do when there is Water Damage in Your House?
The following is what you should do if you find water damage anywhere in your home:
– Find the Water Leak: If you find that there is water in your home, the first thing you may do is call a plumber. While this is something that will eventually need to be done, it isn’t the first step. You need to find the leak first and foremost. If you don’t know where the water is coming from, you need to shut off the water into your home, It is important that all homeowners know where the water shut off valve is in their home for these instances. Once you have stopped the water, you can call a plumber to come in and help.
– Water Restoration: The next step in getting your home put back together is to call on water restoration specialists to help you get rid of the water and dry things out. It is important that this is done right away before mold and mildew have a chance to start growing.
– Insurance: After you have got the ball rolling on cleaning things up, you will want to call your homeowners insurance company to get the assistance you need to help you foot the bill for repairs.
Different Categories of Water Damage
When your home has been flooded, there are three different categories that the water damage can fall under.
– Category 1: This is usually damage caused by clean water. It will usually come from the sink, shower, toilet or other plumbing leaks within your home with clean water.
– Category 2: This is grey water which will have some level of contaminates in it. Water like this will usually come from a toilet overflow or even the washing machine. Another common place for this type of water to come from is a failed sump pump.
– Category 3: This type of flooding is caused by black water. It comes from places like a main sewer line and isn’t safe to be around. The water usually consists of bacteria, fungus and unsanitary agents.
Flood & Water Damage Restoration in Baytown, Pasadena, League City, Pearland, Missouri City, Sugar Land, Cypress, The Woodlands, Spring & Greater Houston, Texas
No matter what type of flooding or water leak you are dealing with, you can turn to the professionals at Disaster Services to help you get your home back in order. We will do everything we can so that you can quickly and safely get back into your home after experiencing flooding. Call us today!